Children’s Crafts for Girls & Boys
As much as we like to treat boys and girls in the same way, it is a fact of life that boys and girls do not generally share the same interests. Crafting and popular craft themes are no exception to this.
We have developed this page for you, to give you some suggestions on craft themes and craft ideas that would be suitable for both boys and girls.
At littlecraftybugs, we offer a massive range of themed crafts for kids, with many themes being suitable for both boys and girls. However, sometimes there is no overlap – fairy themed crafts and motor racing crafts being examples of these.
Please browse our page below or click any of the following quick links to take you to the relevant part of the page.
Popular Craft Themes for Girls
Girls are generally far easier to find craft ideas for and we have included a list of the most popular girls craft themes below. Although this list is just a small selection of the girly themed crafts we offer in our shop, we hope that this will give you some craft ideas.
Popular Craft Themes for Boys
Boys are a completely different kettle of fish when thinking of crafts – nothing pink, not too glittery, nothing remotely “girly”……….
However, there are a number of themes that are particularly popular with boys and we have included a list of the most popular ones below.
Boys & Girls Crafting Together
We are often asked to recommend kids craft themes that can work together, perhaps where a theme has a current or particular relevance but won’t suit kids of both sexes.
To give you some ideas, we have made a few of these suggestions below for you.
It’s hard to find many boys who like to make princess themed crafts! If you are making crowns, you could make sure you have some craft supplies that boys would like and also crown bases that are not pink. However, knight themed craft ideas would make a great alternative, please take a look at our range.
On the whole, girls are happy to make traditional pirate themed crafts but it’s good to be able to offer a girly alternative and something a bit different. With this in mind, we have developed a range of pink pirate crafts for crafty girls.
Many of these are based on our popular traditional pirate crafts. This means that the boys and girls can complete their crafts in the same way and at the same time.
Craft Types for Girls
Some types of crafting are popular with girls and other are more popular with boys. Some craft types, such as tiara making, are undoubtedly a girls craft but many types are suitable for both boys and girls.
However, based on our experience, we have given you some starting points and ideas below for crafts for girls to make. We hope that these will help you decide on what craft types you would like.
- Badge or brooch making crafts are always a hit with girls. You may prefer to use plain badges or kits with themed and shaped badges. Either way, you will find a great range in our shop.
- Box decorating crafts are popular with both boys and girls but are particularly loved by girls for “glitzing” up and then storing their little keepsakes in later. These can be adapted to make them as simple or as complex as you like.
- Crafty Bug making crafts, these exclusive kits are great for groups of girls at craft sessions and craft parties, including princess, fairy, butterfly and horse themes.
- Crown making crafts are always popular for princess themed craft sessions and for craft parties. They are also ideal for a “freestyle” craft session as you can add almost anything from your craft box to a crown, the more sparkly the better for girls though!
- Fabric painting crafts for girls – this is a perennially popular craft. Great for making personalised crafts and also handmade gifts.
- Hama beads and Hama boards – girls love the range of girly themed Hama boards, coloured Hama beads and Hama gift sets.
- Mask making is a hugely popular craft with girls, as they can be adapted for so many kids craft themes and can be made as pretty and “glitzy” as they like. You can buy all your kids mask making supplies online in our mask shop, including mask making kits and blanks for mask making.
- Shrinkies, Shrinkles and shrink art – these shrinking plastic crafts are always popular with girls. They are available in party packs, gift sets and raw components, meaning they will suit craft session at home and for groups of all sizes.
- Tiara making crafts – ideal for princess, fairy and fairytale themed craft sessions and craft parties. Lots of glitter and lots of sparkle here………
- Wand making crafts – these work well with tiara making craft projects at a fairy, fairytale or princess themed craft session.
Craft Types for Boys
We have made some suggestions below of the types of crafts that boys may like to complete. This is just a small selection of the massive range of craft types suitable for boys that we offer.
- Box decorating crafts – great for pirate and sealife themed craft sessions – avoid the pink embellishments though!
- Crafty Bug making crafts, these exclusive kits are great for boys group craft sessions and craft parties – the range includes pirates, monsters and knights.
- Door hanger making crafts are great for boys – embellish with “Girls – Keep Out!” and many more sentiments! You can buy a great range of door hangers for kids crafts online with littlecraftybugs.
- Flag making crafts – these have so many uses in general and themed children’s craft sessions but are particularly popular for football themed craft sessions and craft parties
- Hama beads and Hama boards – boys will love the range of themed Hama boards, coloured Hama beads and Hama gift sets.
- Keyring making crafts for boys are always a hit, great when used as a zipper tag on their rucksack or pencil case. We offer some great key ring making kits and a unique range of children’s key ring craft kits.
- Pirate hat making crafts for boys – girls love crowns and tiaras but what can boys make? Pirate hats! We have a great range of unique and exclusive pirate hat craft kits in our shop.
- Shrinkies, Shrinkles and shrink art – these shrinking plastic crafts are always popular and include some great boys themed kits. They are available in party packs, gift sets and raw components, meaning they will suit craft sessions at home and for groups of all sizes.
- Wand making crafts – not just for fairy craft sessions, also ideal for wizard crafts too….
- Wobblers and bouncers! Another boys craft idea that is exclusive to littlecraftybugs. Very popular and will be bouncing long after the craft event is over…..
Craft Supplies for Boys & Girls
Some children’s craft supplies are popular for both boys and girls crafts, such as pom poms, foam sheets and pipe cleaners. However, others may be more suitable or popular with either boys or girls.
To help you browse our range of the most popular craft supplies for boys and girls crafts, we have included a few ideas below, together with links to the relevant area in our shop. However, if you are looking for something more unusual, you may like to follow this link to start browsing our range.
- Foam shapes for boys crafts ~ available in all shapes, sizes and colours and lots of packs in boys designs.
- Foamie sheets - great for using as collage backgrounds and also for cutting up to make shapes for cards, collages and many more boys craft projects.
- Pipe cleaners ~ great for many boys crafts, including collages, pom pom bugs and monster making crafts.
- Pom poms ~ boys and girls alike love craft pom poms - they are offered in many sizes and colours, with lots of mixed packs for a general craft box.
- Stickers ~ always popular but our range of foil embossed kids craft stickers will be perfect for any kids craft box, why not take a look at our range of pirate themed stickers?
- Googly eyes ~ we probably sell the largest range of wobbly eyes on the web – cast a crafty eye over our range!
- Wooden sticks ~ great for puppet making, bookmarks and many other boys craft projects.
- Beads ~ a perennial favourite with so many uses in the world of girls crafts, especially jewellery making.
- Feathers ~ always a hit for girls crafts, including collages, masks, crowns and much more.
- Foam shapes and foam stickers for girls crafts.
- Glitter ~ the timeless children's craft supply but especially popular with girls!
- Glitter glue ~ much easier for kids to use than standard glitter and a lot less mess..... Phew!
- Pom poms ~ all kids love craft pom poms. They are offered in many sizes and colours, with lots of mixed packs for a girls general craft box.
- Stickers ~ always popular but our range of foil embossed kids craft stickers will be perfect for any kids craft box. Why not take a look at our range of princess themed stickers for crafts?
- Googly eyes ~ we probably sell the largest range of wobbly eyes on the web - take a crafty look at our range...
- Wooden sticks ~ great for wand making craft projects.
Crafts for Boys to Make in Groups
Some kids groups are made up just of boys, such as cubs & scouts. On these occasions you could make some great themed crafts that don’t need to be unisex. We have included some ideas to help you below.
Crafts for Girls to Make in Groups
Brownies, guides and other groups of girls will love the opportunity to make completely girly crafts with no hint of boys or boys themes!
To help you decide on crafts for groups of girls we have included some ideas below.
Craft Gifts for Boys & Girls
At littlecraftybugs we sell a huge range of craft gifts for boys and girls, including our unique range of littlecraftyboxes
All images, designs and text on this page and our website are the copyright of Crafty Capers Ltd and must not be copied or reproduced in any way.