Popular Children’s Crafts
The most popular children’s craft themes will vary from year to year and from month to month.
Kids pirate crafts and princess crafts are always popular but pirates increase in popularity during the summer months, along with sea life themed crafts.
There are also many seasons throughout the year, which can be an excellent opportunity for a craft session.
To guide you through this maze of popular children’s craft themes, we have made some suggestions below, which we hope you will find helpful. They are in sections, please follow these quick links to get to the section you require or browse the whole page.
Don’t forget though, this is just a small selection of the massive number of children’s craft themes that we cover. Please use the left hand navigation to browse the rest of our website.
Popular Children’s Craft Themes
At littlecraftybugs.co.uk, we probably sell the widest range of themed crafts for kids available anywhere.
To help you decide on a theme, we have included the most popular themes below. However, if you are looking for something more unusual, you will probably also find this in our shop.
Popular Themed Craft Combinations
We are often asked to recommend children’s craft themes that can work together, perhaps where a child wants a particular childrens craft theme that may not suit kids of the opposite sex.
We have made a few of these suggestions below for you, which may give you some ideas for your themed children’s craft sessions.
There are not many boys who like to make princess themed crafts! If you are making crowns, you could make sure you have some craft supplies that boys would like and also crown bases that are not pink. However, knight themed craft ideas work well in this situation. At littlecraftybugs we sell a great range of these.
Many girls would be happy to make traditional pirate themed crafts but it’s good to be able to offer an alternative and something a bit different. With this in mind, we have developed a range of pink pirate crafts just for girls.
Many of these are similar to our traditional pirate crafts so can be completed at the same time and in the same way at a pirate themed craft session for boys and girls.
- Fairy craft and butterfly crafts
Fairy crafts and butterfly crafts are often merged together in kids craft sessions, probably because of the fluttery wings in both of them. They do complement each other very well, with butterfly crafts adding a difference to fairy themed craft sessions.
Additionally, if you choose the right butterfly crafts, these can be suitable for younger boys as well. However, even better would be some ugly bug crafts for boys.
- Pirate crafts and under the sea crafts
Many pirate themed craft sessions are based around box making and hat making. If you’re looking for something to add to your pirate craft session that supports the pirate theme but is something a bit different, a sea life craft or under the sea themed craft can work well.
Popular Children’s Seasonal Crafts
There are certain seasons throughout the year that are popular for kids crafts, some for groups, (St George’s Day) and others for children’s home and group craft sessions (Christmas being the obvious one!).
To help you align your craft sessions to seasonal themes, we have included details of the most popular below, in the order that they occur in the year (although some seasons do very helpfully move around!).
seasons also represent a great opportunity for children’s
themed craft sessions.
Popular Kids Craft Types
Children’s craft projects fall mainly into certain popular types. We have found that many customers prefer to buy their kids crafts online by browsing by type, rather than theme.
When you arrive at our online shop, you may already know that you are looking for crown making crafts, box decorating crafts or bookmark based crafts – you will now be able to search through these using our “craft types” shop.
We have included the most popular children’s craft types below to help you browse.
- Badge making crafts for children – these have many uses for children’s crafts. You may prefer to use plain badges or kits with themed and shaped badges. Either way, you will find a great range in our shop.
- Bookmark making crafts for kids are popular to make and make lovely personalised gifts for kids to give.
- Box decorating crafts – great for princess craft sessions and pirate crafts too….. These can be adapted to make them as simple or as complex as you like.
- Box painting crafts – ideal for children’s craft sessions where you have a bit more time and can allow paint drying time. Perhaps at an event where you can sandwich other activities into the drying time.
- Crafty Bug making crafts, these exclusive kits are great for childrens craft groups and craft parties – very popular for home, group and party craft sessions.
- Crown making crafts are great for princess themed craft session and for craft parties. They are also ideal for a children’s “freestyle” craft session as you can add almost anything from your craft box to a crown – essentially, they can be a collage the kids can wear!
- Door hanger making crafts for kids – this is another craft idea that can be used for either a children’s themed craft activity or general craft session. You can buy a great range of doorhangers for kids crafts online with littlecraftybugs.
- Fabric painting craft activities for kids – this is a perennially popular kids craft. Great for making children’s personalised crafts and also hand made gifts.
- Flag making crafts – these have so many uses in general and themed children’s craft sessions
- Hama beads and Hama boards – you either love them or hate them but kids generally love the range of themed Hama boards, coloured Hama beads and Hama gift sets.
- Keyring making crafts for children are always a hit. We offer some great keyring making kits and a lovely range of children’s key ring craft kits.
- Magic scratch art kits are ideal for children’s group craft sessions and kids craft parties. This is reminiscent of the craft activity we used to make ourselves as kids, where we coloured a page in wax crayons and then again in black crayons, scratching designs into the surface to make colourful pictures – it’s much easier now though!
- Mask making is a hugely popular craft for children as the activity can be adapted for so many kids craft themes. You can buy all your kids mask making supplies online in our mask shop, including mask making kits and blanks for mask making.
- Magnet based crafts – kids love seeing their craft projects hanging on Nan’s fridge for years to come…. We sell a great range of kids magnet based crafts and magnets that you can buy online in our magnet shop.
- Pencils craft projects are very popular with kids a can be used after the craft session.
- Puppet making is another perennially popular craft with kids and is so versatile. We sell a terrific range of kids puppet kits and puppet making components.
- Rocker making crafts are exclusive to us and are great for kids craft sessions. Based on the rocking horse concept, they make great crafts to make and keep or to make and give as gifts.
- Shrinkies, Shrinkles and shrink art – these shrinking plastic crafts are always popular with kids. They are available in party packs, gift sets and raw components, meaning they will suit craft session at home and for groups of all sizes.
- Tiara making crafts – great for princess, fairy and fairytale themed craft sessions. Lots of glitter and lots of twinkle here………
- Velvet and fuzzy art crafts – colouring for kids made easy – packed for both home and group craft sessions.
- Wand making crafts – not just for fairy craft sessions, also ideal as princess crafts and wizard crafts too….
- Wobblers and bouncers! Another children’s craft that is exclusive to littlecraftybugs. Very popular and will be bouncing long after the craft event is over…..
Popular Children’s Craft Supplies
Some children’s craft supplies are popular with everyone, such as pom poms, foam sheets and pipe cleaners. However, others may be more specialised or used only rarely, such as wind chimes, cellophane and elastic.
To help you browse our range of the most popular craft supplies for kids crafts, we have included details of these below, together with links to the relevant area in our shop. However, if you are looking for something more unusual, you may like to follow this link to start browsing our range.
- Beads ~ a perennial favourite with so many uses in the world of kids crafts.
- Bells ~ not just for children’s Christmas crafts.
- Feathers ~ always a hit for children's crafts, including collages, masks, crowns and much more.
- Foam shapes for kids crafts ~ available in all shapes, sizes and colours - themed packs, sticky backed packs........ this list is almost endless.
- Foamie sheets - great for using as collage backgrounds and also for cutting up to make shapes for cards, collages and many more children’s craft projects.
- Glitter ~ the timeless children's craft supply - not just for Christmas craft times!
- Glitter glue ~ much easier for kids to use than standard glitter and a lot less mess..... Phew!
- Glue ~ you may wish to keep glue sticks and PVA in your kid's craft box but it's also a good idea to have some high tack or fast tack glue for larger items or 3D crafts, such as our crafty bugs.
- Pipe cleaners ~ great for many kids craft projects, including collages, pom pom bugs and beading activities.
- Pom poms ~ kids love craft pom poms - they are offered in many sizes and colours, with lots of mixed packs for a general craft box.
- Scissors ~ no matter what you need, we have all styles of kids craft scissors in our shop.
- Stickers ~ always popular but our range of foil embossed kids craft stickers will be perfect for any kids craft box.
- Tissue paper ~ kids love using this screwed up on collages and other crafts and also in its flat form – a really versatile craft supply for children.
- Googly eyes ~ we probably sell the largest range of wobbly eyes on the web - take a crafty look......
- Wooden sticks ~ great for puppet making, bookmarks and many other kids craft projects.
All images, designs and text on this page and our website are the copyright of Crafty Capers Ltd and must not be copied or reproduced in any way.