Buzzy Bee Headband, Kids' Bug Craft Idea
These buzzy bee headbands are made using A4 sheets of paper and elastic. They are fun for kids to wear, and a great craft for the holidays or even kids parties. We made a range of headbands, bee, butterfly, beetle, spider and grasshopper, you could also create your own bug and have fun naming it!
They are quite easy to make, with a little help from the adults for younger children. We used card but construction or sugar paper is also suitable.
Here are some bee facts to share with your kids:
- Bees are the only insect in the world that make food for themselves that people can also eat.
- One bee will only make 1/12 of a teaspoon on honey in its entire life.
- A colony of bees can contain between 20,000 and 60,000 bees, but only one queen bee.
- A bee’s wings beat 190 times a second, that’s 11,400 times a minute!
- Each colony smells different to bees, this is so they can tell where they live!
- Bees have two separate stomachs; one for food and another just for nectar.
- Bees have been around for more than 30 million years.
- Bees communicate by smells called ‘pheromones’ and by performing special ‘dances’.
- Bee keepers only take the honey that the bees do not need.
- Place your black A4 card/paper landscape (longest sides horizontal) and measure and cut a 7cm strip from the bottom edge. This is your headband.
- Make a hole in the centre of each end of the 7cm headband, we uses a hole punch, but you could use a sharpened pencil.
- We then cut 2 strips of yellow card and glued them to the headband using a glue stick.
- Cut a 10cm diameter circle from black card or paper and glue it to the centre of the headband. This is the bees face.
- Make 2 holes on the top of the face, again we used a hole punch but a sharpened pencil is a good alternative.
- Cut a black pipecleaner in half. Thread each end through the holes on the face to create antennae.
- Glue two 30mm googly eyes under the antennae.
- Cut a 15cm length of elastic and thread through the two prepared holes at each end of the headband. We secured the ends with tape, but you could use knots.
The headband will fit a child's head size of 48cm - 53cm ( approx. age 2 - 10 years).
We created other bug headbands so you can have a whole range of creepy crawlies in your house and garden!
You will be offered the option to pay by debit or credit card during checkout.
All orders need to be completed online, with the exception of bespoke orders.
All prices stated include VAT and are sold in £sterling.
For large institutions, charities and government bodies we are prepared to release goods as a "payment on account" for orders over £20. Please see details under the "payment" options at the footer of this page.
It will always be to your advantage to register during checkout, as we will then be able to track your orders and also see this and future orders all in one place.
All orders are mailed the following working day using the mail option chosen in checkout.
The only exception to this is for "special delivery", whereby we will mail any order placed prior to 1pm the same day for delivery the following day.
We are able to mail to the UK and certain European countries, together with United States and Australia.
For full details of our delivery options and costs, please see the "delivery" section at the foot of this page.
The stock availability figure shown above is continually updated to ensure that it is accurate at all times. As you add items to your basket, you will see that this figure reduces to allow for the items that you have already added to your basket.
Items are fully reserved for your order as soon as a checkout is completed.
Not enough stock? No stock? If so, we are making and ordering stock regularly and will normally always be able to secure more, within a reasonable period of time. Please just let us know the product code (shown above), how many you need and when you will need these for - we will then be able to get back to you with a quick and meaningful reply.