Elf On The Shelf Craft Ideas for Kids
Elf on the shelf is a magical story for the family to enjoy in the run up to Christmas.The story describes how Santa's Elves hide in your home to see how good or bad everyone has been. Once you go to bed, the elf flies back to the North Pole to report to Santa everything that has happened throughout the day. Before the family wakes up each morning, the elf flies back from the North Pole and hides, sometimes performing a little mischief for the kids to discover before returning to his hiding place. By hiding in a new spot each morning around the house, the elf and the family play an on-going game of hide and seek.
Our elf on the shelf houses are an essential hiding place for Santa's elves and magically move around from day to day.
The family can have great fun designing and crafting their own elf houses together, ready for Father Christmas's little helper to move in on December 1st.
See how to transform a birdhouse to elf house on the How To tab.
We made a wooden hanging birdhouse into our first elf's home, you can hang it in a variety of places or even stand it at the base of the wall, a fitting doorway leading to the North Pole that your elf can travel and report to Santa through.
We used double sided tape and sticky foam pads for these crafts but you could also use tacky glue or glue dots.
- Use white acrylic paint as a base coat and leave to dry.
- When dry add coloured acrylic paint, we used Christmas green.
- While the paint is drying cut an arched door shape from brown card, make a small hole in line with the small wooden dowel on the front of the birdhouse. Stick to the front of the the birdhouse, we used small foam pads to give it a more 3D effect.
- Using double sided tape, cut some red glittter foam and attach to the roof and behind the heart shaped hole.
- Next use double sided tape to add some glitter pom poms to the edge of the base and the roof edge.
- For a final touch, we used two small rectangles of the red glitter foam and a small length of string to make an 'In/Out' sign to hang on the door.
Next we transformed a small paper mache bidrhouse.
- Paint the whole of the birdhouse with white acrylic paint as a base coat.
- When dry apply coloured acylic paint, we used burnt sienna for a gingerbread house effect.
- Add some glitter to the inside of the houses's door, then use strips of brown card to create a wooden door effect on the outside.
- Measure and cut some white glitter craft foam and glue to the roof, around the front and sides at the base, and around the round 'window'. We used double sided tape to attach ours. We also added some diamond shape peices to the edge of the roof for an 'iced' effect.
- Again using double sided tape, attach glitter pom poms around the window on top of the foam, and along the roof ridge line.
- Using self adhesive gems, decorate the roof, finishing the gingerbread house look.
- Finally, for an added touch, instead of a sign to say whether the elf is at home or not, we placed an LED tealight inside. When the light is on you know the elf is home!
You will be offered the option to pay by debit or credit card during checkout.
All orders need to be completed online, with the exception of bespoke orders.
All prices stated include VAT and are sold in £sterling.
For large institutions, charities and government bodies we are prepared to release goods as a "payment on account" for orders over £20. Please see details under the "payment" options at the footer of this page.
It will always be to your advantage to register during checkout, as we will then be able to track your orders and also see this and future orders all in one place.
All orders are mailed the following working day using the mail option chosen in checkout.
The only exception to this is for "special delivery", whereby we will mail any order placed prior to 1pm the same day for delivery the following day.
We are able to mail to the UK and certain European countries, together with United States and Australia.
For full details of our delivery options and costs, please see the "delivery" section at the foot of this page.
The stock availability figure shown above is continually updated to ensure that it is accurate at all times. As you add items to your basket, you will see that this figure reduces to allow for the items that you have already added to your basket.
Items are fully reserved for your order as soon as a checkout is completed.
Not enough stock? No stock? If so, we are making and ordering stock regularly and will normally always be able to secure more, within a reasonable period of time. Please just let us know the product code (shown above), how many you need and when you will need these for - we will then be able to get back to you with a quick and meaningful reply.