How to Make a Clown
These clowns use compressed paper balls which are a great alternative to polystyrene. However, you could use a polystyrene ball instead.
You could also make large versions of these clowns, perhaps using a tall box or jar and a larger ball to create a gift box or trinket jar.
Clowns are known for their wacky style so let your imagination run wild when it comes to picking out the colour combinations. We've left the clothes of our clowns plain but you could use patterned card or decorate the plain card yourself using sequins, pens or glitter glue.
One of these clowns would be sure to raise a smile. You could even attach a wooden stick to the inside of the tube and use it as a puppet!
- It is easiest to create the head of the clown first. To do this you will need to take the compressed paper or polystyrene ball and draw on the clown's eyes, nose and mouth. You could use a red pom pom for the nose instead.
- Next, the clown needs some hair. Fold a rectangle of tissue paper in half and cut it (from the unfolded end) so that you have a tissue paper 'comb'. Stick this onto the back of the clown's head.
- The clown now needs some arms. Cut two equal lengths of pipecleaner and push them into the ball, either side. Then cut some hands from card and attach them onto the ends.
- To create the body we used a piece of corrugated card, rolled into a tube and stuck together at the back. You could also use a toilet roll tube for this, empty of course!
- You can then accessorise the body of your clown. We cut a bow tie from some card and created the buttons by hole punching some of the card and using the 'punched' part. We then cut some feet out of black card, stuck them to the inside of the tube and then folded them out.
- Now you can assemble your clown. We simply put some tacky glue around the rim of the tube and rested the head onto it. Tacky Glue is best for this as it dries much quicker than PVA.
You will be offered the option to pay by debit or credit card during checkout.
All orders need to be completed online, with the exception of bespoke orders.
All prices stated include VAT and are sold in £sterling.
For large institutions, charities and government bodies we are prepared to release goods as a "payment on account" for orders over £20. Please see details under the "payment" options at the footer of this page.
It will always be to your advantage to register during checkout, as we will then be able to track your orders and also see this and future orders all in one place.
All orders are mailed the following working day using the mail option chosen in checkout.
The only exception to this is for "special delivery", whereby we will mail any order placed prior to 1pm the same day for delivery the following day.
We are able to mail to the UK and certain European countries, together with United States and Australia.
For full details of our delivery options and costs, please see the "delivery" section at the foot of this page.
The stock availability figure shown above is continually updated to ensure that it is accurate at all times. As you add items to your basket, you will see that this figure reduces to allow for the items that you have already added to your basket.
Items are fully reserved for your order as soon as a checkout is completed.
Not enough stock? No stock? If so, we are making and ordering stock regularly and will normally always be able to secure more, within a reasonable period of time. Please just let us know the product code (shown above), how many you need and when you will need these for - we will then be able to get back to you with a quick and meaningful reply.