Layers of The Earth: Science Inspired Bauble
Our layers of the earth bauble is a great craft for kids that have an interest in science and our planet. It is a craft suitable for kids of all ages, but younger ones will require a little help and supervision. We used a 60mm two part plastic bauble but you could go as big as you wished, take a look at our range of plastic baubles here.
You could use this idea as inspiration to make more baubles for other planets, which would encourage research and discovery of new and exciting facts.
Here are some facts to share with your kids about the Earth's layers:
The Earth is made up of four distinct layers:
- The inner core is in the centre and is the hottest part of the Earth.
- The outer core is the layer surrounding the inner core.
- The mantle is the widest section of the Earth.
- The crust is the outer layer of the earth.
- We used acrylic paint to create the Earth on the outside of a 60mm two part plastic bauble. This can be as accurate or as simplistic as you wish, dependant on the age of the child. Leave to dry.
- Cut a circle from red card (crust) of approximately 5.8cm in diameter. You could use the bauble as a template to draw around but cut inside of the line as it needs to fit inside the bauble.
- Roughly cut out three more circles, 1 x 4.5cm diameter from orange card (mantle), 1x 3cm diameter from red card (outer core) and 1 x 1.5cm diameter from yellow card (inner core). These circles do not have to be accurate, we left our edges rough as it gave a nice effect.
- Stick the circles together using a glue stick, double sided tape or glue dots.
- Insert the layers of the Earth into the 'female' half of the bauble so it rests against the inner ridge line. Put the two bauble halves together to complete your layers of the Earth bauble.
You can hang your Earth bauble using nylon string but make sure you hang it on a loop so it is still possible to open the bauble and view the layers inside.
You will be offered the option to pay by debit or credit card during checkout.
All orders need to be completed online, with the exception of bespoke orders.
All prices stated include VAT and are sold in £sterling.
For large institutions, charities and government bodies we are prepared to release goods as a "payment on account" for orders over £20. Please see details under the "payment" options at the footer of this page.
It will always be to your advantage to register during checkout, as we will then be able to track your orders and also see this and future orders all in one place.
All orders are mailed the following working day using the mail option chosen in checkout.
The only exception to this is for "special delivery", whereby we will mail any order placed prior to 1pm the same day for delivery the following day.
We are able to mail to the UK and certain European countries, together with United States and Australia.
For full details of our delivery options and costs, please see the "delivery" section at the foot of this page.
The stock availability figure shown above is continually updated to ensure that it is accurate at all times. As you add items to your basket, you will see that this figure reduces to allow for the items that you have already added to your basket.
Items are fully reserved for your order as soon as a checkout is completed.
Not enough stock? No stock? If so, we are making and ordering stock regularly and will normally always be able to secure more, within a reasonable period of time. Please just let us know the product code (shown above), how many you need and when you will need these for - we will then be able to get back to you with a quick and meaningful reply.