Making Crowns & Tiaras With Kids
Crowns and tiaras can be made as inexpensively or as lavishly as your budget allows. Perhaps the best thing about them is that they are completely freestyle and kids can get really creative.
If you are looking to buy larger quantities, either as a one-off or regularly - please contact us with details of your requirements and we will do our best to help you. At littlecraftybugs we regularly bespoke craft kits for large and corporate craft events and would welcome the opportunity to help you.
Having experienced kid's crafting habits first hand, we have included some our top hints and tips to help you when making crowns or tiaras!
- First you need to choose your base. There are many options including flat crown bases, half head crowns (exclusive to littlecraftybugs), card roll (smooth, metallic and corrugated), pre-packed crown making kits, tiara blanks an tiara craft kits.
- As an alternative to crown making crafts, tiara making princess crafts are also extremely popular – generally more so with girls than boys though!
- When decorating your crowns the possibilities are endless. Here’s a few ideas to start you off! 12mm pom poms, sequins & confetti, tissue paper, jewels & gems, foam stickers and shapes, glitter and glitter glue, ribbons and ribbon bows, feathers and stickers.
- If you are looking to make patriotic crowns, why not use a plain base in red, white or blue. You could then embellish this with craft supplies in the other two colours of the union jack.
- We strongly recommend either using a tacky glue or fast tack glue for kids crafts where a quick result is required. Kids obviously can’t use mega fast and strong adhesives or hot glue guns. Therefore, these glues really are the next best option. Our tacky glue is our best selling glue for kids crafts; it is far tackier than PVA from the outset and will be relatively dry within 10-15 minutes from application, compared to the hours it takes for normal PVA to dry.
- As an alternative you could limit the items you are using on your crowns to only self-adhesive items, such as stickers, sticky gems and self-adhesive foam shapes. However with stickers in mind, we suggest foam stickers for the corrugated roll, rather than flat stickers as they stick better and won't become all bumpy in the corrugation. We have an extensive range of flat or paper stickers which are ideal for crown making crafts using smooth card roll or crown bases.
- Some crowns will need to be secured closed after decoration. Although you could use a stapler for this, we suggest double sided tape. As these are sold in rolls and you will then have some left over, you can use this for attaching any larger jewels etc to the crown. However, please bear in mind that you will be unable to stick pom poms, pipe cleaners etc with double sided tape and sequins etc will be too small for the tape.
- If you are using PVA glue or paint, don't forget that this needs to dry. It's a good idea not to do this craft too near the end of the session as the kids will be going home with crafts sliding down their face on PVA glue!
- If you have another craft, it would be an idea to do these crowns first. Similarly, at a party, these are best done straight away and before games/party tea, which both make valuable drying time.
- Our top tip is to use decent glue, Tacky glue is the best as it dries far more quickly than regular PVA.
- Use glitter glue sparingly - it can take forever to dry if used liberally.
- What would we suggest that you avoid? Large pom poms, beads and pipecleaners all tend to ping off when the crown is worn. Aside from this, if they are self adhesive or a good tacky glue will stick it - then go for it!
- Make sure you have enough crown bases and if you are using rolls of card our advice is to measure, measure, measure!
You will be offered the option to pay by debit or credit card during checkout.
All orders need to be completed online, with the exception of bespoke orders.
All prices stated include VAT and are sold in £sterling.
For large institutions, charities and government bodies we are prepared to release goods as a "payment on account" for orders over £20. Please see details under the "payment" options at the footer of this page.
It will always be to your advantage to register during checkout, as we will then be able to track your orders and also see this and future orders all in one place.
All orders are mailed the following working day using the mail option chosen in checkout.
The only exception to this is for "special delivery", whereby we will mail any order placed prior to 1pm the same day for delivery the following day.
We are able to mail to the UK and certain European countries, together with United States and Australia.
For full details of our delivery options and costs, please see the "delivery" section at the foot of this page.
The stock availability figure shown above is continually updated to ensure that it is accurate at all times. As you add items to your basket, you will see that this figure reduces to allow for the items that you have already added to your basket.
Items are fully reserved for your order as soon as a checkout is completed.
Not enough stock? No stock? If so, we are making and ordering stock regularly and will normally always be able to secure more, within a reasonable period of time. Please just let us know the product code (shown above), how many you need and when you will need these for - we will then be able to get back to you with a quick and meaningful reply.