Outer Space Father's Day Craft Model for Kids
Our space model of the earth and moon is a great craft for kids to make for a gift, or even as a table decoration. This craft will need adult assistance, but kids will have fun creating their own galaxy background with acrylic paints and adding their own satellites or comets (maybe even an alien spacecraft) to give their model it's own unique personality.
We used a 25cm polystyrene cake dummy for this model, but you could make a bigger or smaller version as they are available in a range of sizes. You could also adapt this idea to decorate an actual cake. Make the models and decorate the top of the cake with splashes of different coloured icing. Perfect for a birthday or event.
- Paint the cake dummy using black acrylic paint as a base coat, check out our guide on styrofoam crafts for hints and tips on painting.
- When the base coat is dry mask off an area on the top of the dummy using paper shapes. We created spiral swirl shapes and placed them over the top.
- Using a dry paint brush, flick different coloured paints over tthe surface of the cake dummy and masked off areas.
- Remove the paper cut outs to reveal your pattern and leave to dry.
- Using floristry wire, push approximately 2cm, slightly less for the smaller balls, into the polystyrene balls, the measurements we used are as follows: 60mm ball for the Earth on 12cm of wire, 40mm ball for the moon on 17cm of wire, 1 x 20mm ball as a satellite on a 10cm of wire and a 20mm ball for a comet on 6cm of wire. The wire lengths allow for the amount being pushed into the polystyrene.
- Paint the polystyrene balls appropriately. Leave to dry.
- We attached felt to the back of our comet to create the flames trailing behind it and added two small card rectangles to to our satellite, using silicone glue.
- We pushed the Earth into the polystyrene cake dummy at the centre then arranged the Moon, comet and satellite around it.
- To finish the model we cut black card and used double sided tape to attach it around the sides of the cake dummy. If you want to write a greeting on the card do so before sticking it on. Alternatively, as we have, print a greeting and stick it to the black card border using double sided tape.
You will be offered the option to pay by debit or credit card during checkout.
All orders need to be completed online, with the exception of bespoke orders.
All prices stated include VAT and are sold in £sterling.
For large institutions, charities and government bodies we are prepared to release goods as a "payment on account" for orders over £20. Please see details under the "payment" options at the footer of this page.
It will always be to your advantage to register during checkout, as we will then be able to track your orders and also see this and future orders all in one place.
All orders are mailed the following working day using the mail option chosen in checkout.
The only exception to this is for "special delivery", whereby we will mail any order placed prior to 1pm the same day for delivery the following day.
We are able to mail to the UK and certain European countries, together with United States and Australia.
For full details of our delivery options and costs, please see the "delivery" section at the foot of this page.
The stock availability figure shown above is continually updated to ensure that it is accurate at all times. As you add items to your basket, you will see that this figure reduces to allow for the items that you have already added to your basket.
Items are fully reserved for your order as soon as a checkout is completed.
Not enough stock? No stock? If so, we are making and ordering stock regularly and will normally always be able to secure more, within a reasonable period of time. Please just let us know the product code (shown above), how many you need and when you will need these for - we will then be able to get back to you with a quick and meaningful reply.