Solar System Planet Mobile Kids' Craft Idea
Kids will love creating this solar system mobile and it would look great hanging in their room. This is an inspirational craft for kids that have an interest in outer space and a passion for all things space related.
Older kids will be able to craft this with little or no help from an adult but younger ones will require some assistance.
We have worked out the best sizes for each piece and listed them on our 'How To' tab.
Although our planet mobile is not completely accurate, it is a great representation of our planets and their positioning from the Sun.
No glue is required for this craft but it does involve a lot of paint and we would recommend using aprons and tablecovers for protection from any spills or splatters.
The following list is our recommendation of sizes and acrylic paint colours for our solar system mobile craft, the list is also their positioning on the mobile, the Sun being hung at the centre:
- 60mm polystyrene ball: Sun; colour: Golden sun and pumpkin orange
- 15mm polystyrene ball: Mercury; colour: Dark and light grey
- 15mm polystyrene ball: Venus; colour: Burnt sienna, golden sun, mocha and cherry red
- 20mm polystyrene ball: Earth; colour: White, metallic amethyst, sage green and periwinkle
- 15mm polystyrene ball: Mars; colour: Latte, burnt sienna, mocha and cherry red
- 60mm polystyrene ball: Jupiter; colour: Latte, mocha and burnt sienna
- 50mm polystyrene ball: Saturn; colour: Latte and mocha; for Saturn's ring we used a beige pipecleaner, looped into a circle and the ends pushed into the side of the planet.
- 40mm polystyrene ball: Uranus; colour: Periwinkle and dark grey
- 40mm polystyrene ball: Neptune; colour: Periwinkle, royal blue, baby blue and dark grey
Although the sun should be a lot bigger we chose to represent it with a smaller polystyrene ball so it does not interfere with the other planets and the way they hang, but you could use a larger polystyrene ball if you wished.
- Prepare the wooden mobile by painting it in black acrylic paint, leave to dry.
- Each planet was painted in the colours listed and then left to dry.
- A plastic hook was then pushed into the top of each planet.
- We used black cotton thread to hang our planets from the wooden mobile. We hung them in the order of the list above gradually moving them away from the Sun as we did so. As the polystyrene balls are so light we found this the best way for them to hang as they are not heavy enough to straighten thicker threads like nylon or string.
The lengths of cotton used were as follows ( allow a little extra for tying)
- Sun (centre) - 17cm
- Mercury - 16cm
- Venus - 14cm
- Earth - 14cm
- Mars - 13cm
- Jupiter - 16cm
- Saturn - 11cm
- Uranus - 14cm
- Neptune - 12cm
You will be offered the option to pay by debit or credit card during checkout.
All orders need to be completed online, with the exception of bespoke orders.
All prices stated include VAT and are sold in £sterling.
For large institutions, charities and government bodies we are prepared to release goods as a "payment on account" for orders over £20. Please see details under the "payment" options at the footer of this page.
It will always be to your advantage to register during checkout, as we will then be able to track your orders and also see this and future orders all in one place.
All orders are mailed the following working day using the mail option chosen in checkout.
The only exception to this is for "special delivery", whereby we will mail any order placed prior to 1pm the same day for delivery the following day.
We are able to mail to the UK and certain European countries, together with United States and Australia.
For full details of our delivery options and costs, please see the "delivery" section at the foot of this page.
The stock availability figure shown above is continually updated to ensure that it is accurate at all times. As you add items to your basket, you will see that this figure reduces to allow for the items that you have already added to your basket.
Items are fully reserved for your order as soon as a checkout is completed.
Not enough stock? No stock? If so, we are making and ordering stock regularly and will normally always be able to secure more, within a reasonable period of time. Please just let us know the product code (shown above), how many you need and when you will need these for - we will then be able to get back to you with a quick and meaningful reply.