Sunflower Decopatch Birdhouse or Bird Box Craft Idea
Bird house and birdbox crafts are fun for all ages and are a brilliant way to brighten up your home or garden this summer. There are a few different materials to choose from and a lot more ways to decorate them!
Wooden boxes are ideal if you want your finished product to go outside, whereas paper mache is better for making indoor decorations. If the project is going outside, make sure you seal it first. We sell a waterproof decopatch glue that's ideal.
These cute summery sunflower birdboxes have a wooden base and have been decopatched using a napkin technique. We love napkins and favour them over decopatch paper. You get a greater choice of designs and colours and napkin will rip less easily than paper when you are painting the glue on.
- First, paint your birdhouse. We recommend that you paint a white paint on the area that you plan to decopatch. This makes sure that the colour of the napkin or paper stays true.
- TOP TIP: Most of our bird houses have a rope or ribbon for hanging. To keep this out the way whilst painting and decopatching, we stuck a thin dowel (you could use a kebab stick with the points cut off) into the hole in the top of the birdbox and thread the rope hook over it. As you can see in the picture, it kept it out of the way. Just be careful of your eyes!
- Once your paint has dried, you can begin to stick your napkin onto your birdhouse. Do this in exactly the same way that you would use normal decopatch papers. We used 3-ply napkins and took off the bottom white layer, leaving just one white layer and the patterned layer. For more information, take a look at our How to Use Napkins for Decoupage page for guidance.
- If you want a glossy finish to your indoor decoration, you could use gloss decopatch glue.
- Once the napkin has dried, you can add any embellishements. We used some fabric sunflowers which we stuck on with silicone glue. Our sunflowers were cut from the wire stem, just behind the head of the flower. You could also use fabric sunflower heads.
- We'd recommend using the bird houses as home decor rather than an actual birdhouse. If you are going to use your birdhouse outside, make sure your embellishments are suitable and that you use a waterproofer.
You will be offered the option to pay by debit or credit card during checkout.
All orders need to be completed online, with the exception of bespoke orders.
All prices stated include VAT and are sold in £sterling.
For large institutions, charities and government bodies we are prepared to release goods as a "payment on account" for orders over £20. Please see details under the "payment" options at the footer of this page.
It will always be to your advantage to register during checkout, as we will then be able to track your orders and also see this and future orders all in one place.
All orders are mailed the following working day using the mail option chosen in checkout.
The only exception to this is for "special delivery", whereby we will mail any order placed prior to 1pm the same day for delivery the following day.
We are able to mail to the UK and certain European countries, together with United States and Australia.
For full details of our delivery options and costs, please see the "delivery" section at the foot of this page.
The stock availability figure shown above is continually updated to ensure that it is accurate at all times. As you add items to your basket, you will see that this figure reduces to allow for the items that you have already added to your basket.
Items are fully reserved for your order as soon as a checkout is completed.
Not enough stock? No stock? If so, we are making and ordering stock regularly and will normally always be able to secure more, within a reasonable period of time. Please just let us know the product code (shown above), how many you need and when you will need these for - we will then be able to get back to you with a quick and meaningful reply.